503-304-3420 or 1-866-206-4799 (toll-free) information.nwsds@nwsds.org

Medicaid and SHIBA

Medicaid is a needs-based program. It offers financial and medical help. It is funded by federal and state taxes and is run as a federal-state partnership.

To get help through Medicaid, you must:

  • have a disability, be age 65 or older, or be blind
  • be a citizen of the United States or a qualified non-citizen
  • live within the state of Oregon and plan to stay in the state
  • not have a monthly income over $794 if single (couples must meet certain rules - See OAR 461 110 0530, Section 4 or contact your local office's eligibility specialist.)
  • have savings and assets limited to $2,000 if single ($3,000 for a couple)
  • not have sold, traded, or given away real property or personal property for less than fair market value within 60 months before applying (sometimes this rule can be overlooked if married).

You may own a home, a vehicle, and a life insurance or burial policy/plan (there are some limits).

Medicaid pays for items and services needed for medical reasons. They must be ordered by a doctor. Some require approval.

Medicaid can pay for primary care doctors, specialists, and hospital visits. This includes visits for vision, dental, and mental health services. It can also pay for transportation to these visits.

If you need help from another person with Activities of Daily Living, such as walking, eating, going to the bathroom, and bathing, Medicaid can cover care in your home, an adult foster home, residential care facility, assisted living facility, or nursing facility. It can also cover home health and personal care.

Other coverage includes:

  • Durable medical equipment (like wheelchairs, walkers, and oxygen)
  • Incontinence supplies, adult diapers, and medical supplies (like bandages and colostomy bags)
  • Some prescription drugs
  • Physical, speech, and occupational therapy

To find out if you may be able to get help through Medicaid, please contact the Aging and Disability Resource Connection (ADRC) using the information listed below.

Contact the Aging and Disability Resource Connection (ADRC) for more information. 

Call: 503-304-3420 or 1-866-206-4799 (toll-free) 

Email: information.nwsds@nwsds.org

Online: adrcoforegon.org