Medicare and Senior Health Insurance Benefits Assistance (SHIBA)
Medicare Savings Program
Some people on Medicare have trouble paying for the cost of it. The Qualified Medicare Beneficiaries (QMB) program, also called a Medicare Savings Program, helps to pay for the cost of Medicare. It is a needs-based program. Your monthly income must be below a set amount. You must also have Medicare Part A (hospital).
The Medicare Savings Program comes in two forms:
- QMB-BAS (Basic) - This form of help pays for the Medicare Part B premium. It also pays for Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B deductibles and co-insurance.
- QMB-SMB and SMF (Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiaries) - This form of help pays for the Medicare Part B premium only. QMB-SMF depends on federal funds and may not always be able to help.
For the monthly income limits, twenty dollars is subtracted from your gross monthly income. If you have earned income, an amount is also deducted. For these reasons, you may be able to get help even if your income is higher than the amounts listed below.
- $1,041 if single
- $1,409 for a couple
- $1,249 if single
- $1,691 for a couple
- $1,405 if single
- $1,902 for a couple
To find out if you may be able to get help through a Medicare Savings Program, please contact the Aging and Disability Resource Connection (ADRC) at one of the phone numbers listed below.
Senior Health Insurance Benefits Assistance (SHIBA)
Medicare can be hard to understand. The Senior Health Insurance Benefits Assistance (SHIBA) program is a network of certified Medicare counselors who can help. They offer free, one-on-one help to anyone with Medicare, regardless of age. They do not sell any service or product.
SHIBA Medicare counselors can help you:
- Understand what is covered under Medicare
- Compare Medicare Advantage coverage
- File a Medicare appeal
- Keep safe from Medicare fraud and abuse
For a SHIBA appointment please contact your local NWSDS office.
For a quick reference to income and resource limits for 2019, read the Oregon Medicare Fact Sheet - 2019.
To learn more about Medicare, click the link below:
- Oregon Senior Health Insurance Benefits Assistance, 1-800-722-4134, www.oregonshiba.org
The following Medicare-related resources may also be helpful:
- Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services, 1-800-633-4227, www.medicare.gov
- Social Security Administration, 1-800-772-1213, www.ssa.gov
- Senior Medicare Patrol, 1-877-808-2468, www.smpresource.org
- Oregon Prescription Drug Program, 1-888-441-6737,www.opdp.org
Contact the Aging and Disability Resource Connection (ADRC) for more information.
Marion, Polk, and Yamhill Counties Call: 503-304-3420 or 1-866-206-4799 (toll-free)
Clatsop and Tillamook Counties Call: 503-861-4210 or 1-866-206-4799 (toll-free)